Join the fight
Taking our Democracy back, state by state
What is Fight for Reform?
The Supreme Court’s 2010 decision in Citizens United v. F.E.C. completely changed the landscape of American politics, opening the door for billionaires, corporations, and special interests to spend unlimited, untraceable money to influence our elections.
We’re fighting back. Fight For Reform, a state-level project of End Citizens United, works toward meaningful reform at the local level. We're connecting grassroots activists to ballot initiatives that will bring transparency and accountability to local elections. We’ve done the leg work of identifying where our supporters can have a real impact -- now we need your support!
Winning these campaigns doesn't just help end the corrupting influence of money in their state, it sends a national message: it’s time to take our Democracy back.
Integrity Washington, a cross partisan group of voters in the Evergreen State is collecting petitions to put Initiative 1464 on the ballot. I-1464, also known as the Washington Government Accountability Act, is a proposal to restore public trust and confidence in state government. The Washington Government Accountability Act will:
- Create a Democracy Credit program to empower small donors
- Require transparency from political ads, so voters know who is funding advertising
- Restrict contributions from lobbyists and public contractors to candidates they seek to influence
- Strengthen enforcement and increase penalties for ethics and campaign finance laws
An Accountable Miami is a group of local residents working to update Miami–Dade County’s campaign finance regulations. The ballot initiative in Miami-Dade would:
- Give ordinary people a stronger voice by updating Miami-Dade County’s small-donor system to replace the large donations from wealthy contributors with small donations from ordinary people matched by limited public funds.
- Strengthen enforcement of existing campaign finance laws and increase penalties.
- Limit the power of big-money interests by banning large contractors from making political donations to county candidates.
- Close loopholes that allow lobbyists to make gifts to officials.
- Reduce contribution limits for mayoral and county commission candidates.
Thousands of South Dakotans are fighting for Initiated Measure 22, the 2016 South Dakota Government Accountability and Anti Corruption Act, to ensure corruption can’t take hold in our state. IM 22 will:
- Ban lobbyists and out-of-state donors from buying politicians.
- Require more transparency for donors.
- Create a strong, independent South Dakota ethics commission.
- End the practice of unlimited gifts from lobbyists to politicians. South Dakota is the only state in America that allows this.
- Give each individual voter a choice: get some of your own money back from the government to give to a candidate who best represents your values, or choose not to participate.
End Citizens United
Established March 1st, 2015, End Citizens United is a Political Action Committee funded by grassroots donors. We are dedicated to countering the disastrous effects of Citizens United and reforming our campaign finance system.
We’ll show elected officials, candidates, voters, and the press that the grassroots are fighting back with force against the increasing brazenness of billionaires trying to buy our elections.