Join the fight
Taking our Democracy back, state by state
What is Fight for Reform?
The Supreme Court’s 2010 decision in Citizens United v. F.E.C. completely changed the landscape of American politics, opening the door for billionaires, corporations, and special interests to spend unlimited, untraceable money to influence our elections.
We’re fighting back. Fight For Reform, a state-level project of End Citizens United, works toward meaningful reform at the local level. We're connecting grassroots activists to ballot initiatives that will bring transparency and accountability to local elections. We’ve done the legwork of identifying where our supporters can have a real impact -- now we need your support!
Winning these campaigns doesn't just help end the corrupting influence of money in their state, it sends a national message: it’s time to take our Democracy back.
Thousands of South Dakotans fought for Initiated Measure 22, the 2016 South Dakota Government Accountability and Anti Corruption Act, to ensure corruption can’t take hold in our state. IM-22 was designed to:
- Ban lobbyists and out-of-state donors from buying politicians.
- Require more transparency for donors.
- Create a strong, independent South Dakota ethics commission.
- End the practice of unlimited gifts from lobbyists to politicians. South Dakota is the only state in America that allows this.
- Give each individual voter a choice: get some of your own money back from the government to give to a candidate who best represents your values, or choose not to participate.
IM-22 passed with 52% of the vote. However, the South Dakota Legislature and Governor defied the will of the people and declared an “emergency” in order to repeal the measure.
End Citizens United
Established March 1st, 2015, End Citizens United is a Political Action Committee funded by grassroots donors. We are dedicated to countering the disastrous effects of Citizens United and reforming our campaign finance system.
We’ll show elected officials, candidates, voters, and the press that the grassroots are fighting back with force against the increasing brazenness of billionaires trying to buy our elections.